Through the world wide web, you have a limitless resource to information and knowledge. The problem is that there is a wealth of misinformation out there. How can we prevent deception? Here are 5 steps:
- Find Credible Sources. Most credible sources will do due diligence in finding information prior to spreading the information. Of course, they get it wrong every so often as well.
- Find Proof of Sources. Research and data should back up whatever it is that you are searching.
- Search for Anecdotes. Although not all firsthand accounts are true, finding anecdotes can be a compelling source of true, genuine information.
- Critique using Logical Fallacies. There are a number of logical fallacies found here. Examine if the facts are reliable.
- Think about the Implications. If the implications are outlandish, you can identify which claims are plausible and which claims are complete and utter bullshoviks.